This is one of my favorite fall salads. Or, may be, the favorite one.
It is easy to make (who doesn’t like that?). It is made of inexpensive ingredients you can find at any grocery store (who wants hunting for exotic stuff and doesn’t like saving a penny?). This is a festive looking salad (who doesn’t like his/her/their holiday table to be attractively amazing?). It is healthy (you know this). And, finally, it is delicious (healthy is good but sometimes delicious is better, right?).
This salad is a really great addition to the Thanksgiving and Christmas menu.
Garnish it with goat cheese, pomegranate seeds or/and nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts, pine nuts and pumpkin seeds are really good here) – and a gergeous looking dish is guaranteed.
The salad can be served warm (it is the best, in my opinion) or at room temperature – both ways are delicious.
Cook with pleasure and enjoy the world!
Apple and Butternut Squash Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
- 1-2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4-6 cups salad greens (baby arugula, baby spinach or mesclun)
- 1 cup butternut squash , peeled and 1 inch-cubed
- 1 large apple (honeycrisp, golden delicious, smith, pink lady), peeled, core removed and cubed
- sea salt
- black pepper
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes or pinch of cayenne pepper
For lemon vinaigrette:
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp whole grain Dijon mustard
- black pepper
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Optional , for garnish:
- pomegranate seeds
- slivered almonds , or pumpkin seeds, or coarsely chopped nuts (walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts, pine nuts)
- fresh goat cheese or feta , crumbled
For the lemon vinaigrette:
Whisk all the ingredients. Set aside.
For the salad:
Arrange the salad greens on a platter.
In a nonstick or heavy bottomed fry pan, heat 1 tbsp olive oil. Add the butternut cubes, season with salt, pepper, and pepper flakes; cook for 3-5 minutes until the butternut is fork tender but still firm and golden brown. Transfer the butternut onto the salad greens.
In the same pan, heat 1 tbsp olive oil. Add the apple cubes and sauté over high heat for 1-3 minutes until light golden brown. Add the apple cubes to the salad.
Drizzle the salad with lemon vinaigrette.
Garnish with goat cheese, feta, nuts or seeds, or pomegranate seeds.