As of today, this stunning green soup-mousse is my absolute favorite. It has become my signature cold soup. It meets all high criteria for an elegant dish – it has a gorgeous look, silky texture, well balanced delicate flavor, and exquisite taste.
The soup is such a wonderful addition to a summer or winter holiday menu. Want to empress your guests? Make this soup! Serve it chilled or at room temperature – and it will please everyone.
A warm asparagus soup with smoked trout and trout caviar, which I enjoyed in restaurant for the Mother’s Day, has inspired me to prepare this incredible green soup.
At first, I wanted to make it with an avocado added (red caviar and avocado is a perfect combination), but at the last moment I decided to go simple and excluded the avocado. Oh, I will certainly prepare the avocado version.
In fact, the soup is very tasty even without any caviar – this way it is so good for hot weather, light, delicate and healthy. The addition of red caviar moves this soup a step up. A combination of the bursting in your mouth salty red caviar, fresh vegetables and fatty Greek yogurt creates a delightful harmony.
Served in small cups, glasses or nice ramekins this green soup-mousse turns out as a stylish and elegant starter.
Green Soup-Mousse with Red Caviar
- 2 lb cucumbers, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 sticks celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 medium or large clove garlic
- ½ – 1 green chili pepper (jalapeno)
- ¼ tsp – ½ tsp wasabi paste (or Tabasco sauce, or a pinch of cayenne pepper)
- Juice of ½ lime (or ½ medium lemon)
- Black pepper
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ – ½ cup of water
- 8 tsp red caviar (salmon, trout, etc.)
- 8 tsp crème fraiche, Greek yogurt (or good sour cream), full fat or 2% fat preferably
- Fresh basil, parsley or dill for garnish (optional)
1 cup = 240 ml
Blend all the ingredients except the crème fraiche (yogurt, sour cream), caviar and fresh herbs in a blender.
Serve the soup in cups, glasses or ramekins with a dollop of crème fraiche (yogurt, sour cream), a spoon of caviar and garnished with fresh herbs.
Store the soup refrigerated.
Cook with pleasure!