Sometimes even the simplest dishes create an intricate taste and bring a lot of satisfaction.
This jasmine rice belongs to the simple dish category. Even though it is easy to prepare, a bowl of this rice has a nice complex taste. It is great as a side dish to compliment chicken teriyaki or sweet-and-sour chicken.
Thanks to the vegetables, primarily, Chinese cabbage (Napa cabbage), and peanuts, this jasmine rice is just as delicious and nutritious when eaten without meat or poultry – it is a wonderful vegetarian dish.
Jasmine Rice with Chinese Cabbage, sweet Pepper, and Peanuts
- · 1 cup jasmine rice (or a mixture of jasmine and wild rice)
- · 1 medium head of Chinese cabbage, cut into wide strips
- · 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- · 2-4 cloves garlic, sliced
- · 1 tsp dark sesame oil
- · ¼ – ½ cup chopped peanuts
- · Salt
- · Pinch of cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes
- · Peanut oil for frying (or other oil)
Cook the rice according manufacturing directions. You can add a little oil to the cooked rice so it is not sticky.
In a deep skillet heat the peanut oil. Add the pepper and sauté for 2-3 minutes over medium heat.
Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute.
Add the Chinese cabbage, salt, pepper and sesame oil. Stir and cook, covered, for 2-5 minutes. Remove the lid and cook for 5-10 minutes until the cabbage is tender.
Add the rice, nuts, stir and reheat.
Cook with pleasure!