Mahi -Mahi is a pretty lean fish so I like either to marinate it or to serve with some sauce, often with tropical flavors.
Planning to cook this meaty and slightly sweet Hawaiian fish for dinner, I wanted to bring a new twist – to prepare the dish with some Mediterranean notes. What do we mean when thinking ‘something Mediterranean’? Of course, we are talking about olives, capers, tomatoes, herbs, and, a good quality olive oil. I combined all these gifts from Mother Nature in one bowl to prepare a wonderful bright and very tasty salsa.
The combination of salty, sweet, spicy, and sour ended up with an excellent result – sauce, rich in flavor and vivid in color. This salsa is an ideal condiment for my mahi-mahi, which is so good when served with rice, polenta, or cauliflower.
And, of course, this flavorful salsa is very delicious with other fish varieties, poultry, meat, or as an appetizer, with crackers, chips, and toasts.
Mahi-Mahi with Sun-Dried Tomato-Olive-and-Raisins Salsa
- 4 Mahi-Mahi fillets (or cod, sea bass, tilapia)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Black pepper
- ¼ lemon (optional)
- 8-12 tbsp sun-dried tomatoes, olives, and raisins salsa
For the sun-dried tomatoes, olives, and raisins salsa (1 ½ – 2 cups):
- 20 green olives stuffed with hot pepper, finely chopped
- 5-6 halves oil packed sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 small shallot (or 1/4 cup red, Spanish or sweet onion), finely chopped
- 1 chili pepper (jalapeno or fresno), finely chopped (chili optional)
- ¼ cup golden raisins, chopped
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup finely chopped parsley
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- Black pepper
- Salt (if needed)
- 2-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Pat dry the fish with a paper towel. Season the fish with salt and pepper and drizzle with lemon juice and olive oil.
Fry the fish on a cast iron or grill-pan for about 5 minutes on each side. (For a flat fish, like tilapia, reduce the cooking time to 2-3 minutes per side).
Serve with salsa.
For the salsa: mix all the ingredients. Let it stand to develop the flavors.
Cook with pleasure!