Last Sunday we celebrated Mother’s Day. I love this holiday (well, of course!). Since our son is at the college, my husband took a traditional kitchen duty that day.
Preparing for the special breakfast, while I “was admiring myself” in a mirror, he picked some wild violets in our backyard and arranged them in a low crystal bowl. Such simplicity at the edge of elegance took my heart. What an amazing picture!
After being served a wonderful ‘special-mom’ breakfast and lunch, I offered to cook the dinner together.
A night before, I marinated onion slices with sumac spice and lamb filet for kabobs.
For an appetizer we had Crostini with goat cheese and date-and-olive tapenade. As a side dish (and a salad as well) I served a very flavorful Tabbouleh. I made this tabbouleh with quinoa instead of traditional bulgur. On my personal note, I added finely chopped celery, which made this salad even better. Crunchy, flavorful, bright and healthy – this tabbouleh turned out amazing and successfully complimented the lamb kabobs.
Overall, we’ve made a wonderful Mediterranean dinner and enjoyed it with a bottle of a very good Spanish wine.
Yes, and for the dessert my husband pleased me with sweet raspberries, blackberries, French macaroon cookies and very decent French champagne for which I am a great lover.
I’m looking forward to the next Mom’s Day …
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2-3 tomatoes (meaty), finely chopped
- 2 medium cucumbers (preferably Persian), finely chopped
- 2 sticks of celery, finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 chili pepper, finely chopped
- ½ small red or yellow onion or a mixture of yellow onion and green onion, finely chopped (I have a mixture of sweet onion and chives)
- 1-2 cups chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup chopped mint (this time I made without mint)
- Juice of ½ lemon or more, to taste
- 1/3 – ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Black pepper
Cook the quinoa. Let it cool.
In a salad bowl mix all the ingredients. Taste the salad. Adjust salt, pepper, olive oil and lemon juice to your taste.
Let the salad stand in a refrigerator for about 30 minutes or longer. It is also possible to make the salad the day before.
Cook with pleasure and enjoy the world!