I don’t even know how to describe this salad. It is so delicious! An incredible mixture of flavors and textures: sweet, salty, sour, spicy, juicy, and crispy – creates a delicious harmony sensation.
While eating the salad, you will enjoy every bite of it.
I think this salad will make any menu more chic and gorgeous, whether this is a weekend dinner, or a holiday feast.
Try it and I am sure you will agree with me – this pear, goat cheese, and walnut salad is one of the best!!!
Grilled chicken, beef, or pork, added to roasted pear salad and paired with a glass of nice wine, will make a satisfying, light, and elegant dinner.
Adapted with some changes from Raising the Salad Bar book by Catherine Walthers.
Roasted Pear, Goat Cheese and Walnut Salad
- 1 lb mixed salad leaves (arugula, spinach, Boston, Butter / Bibb lettuce and radicchio, etc.)
- 4-6 oz soft goat cheese (or blue cheese, gorgonzola, stilton)
- 1/3 – ½ cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 3 pears, ripe but firm
- 1 shallot or ¼ small red or sweet onion, finely chopped
- Olive oil
For the dressing:
- ¼ – ½ roasted pear
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup apple juice (or pear, or peach)
- 2 tbsp vinegar (champagne, white wine, or white balsamic)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Black pepper
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard (I use whole grain Dijon mustard)
Preheat an oven to 400 F (200 C).
Peel the pears and cut them in quarters. Remove the core. Oil the pears segments and arrange them on a baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven. Pears should retain their shape and firmness.
Combine all the dressing ingredients in a food processor or a blender and process until creamy.
In a salad bowl arrange the lettuce with the onion. Add walnuts and crumbled goat cheese. Add warm pear. Drizzle with the dressing and serve immediately.
Cook with pleasure!