Who said that trifle should be sweet? We enjoy pumpkin or beetroot humus, zucchini carpaccio, why not to try savory trifle?
I created this recipe for a holiday feast. For a Christmas or New Year table I like to serve tiny blinis or rye bread canapés Russian way – with cream fresh and caviar or smoked salmon. It is a no mistake appetizer. But now I looked at this small pleasure from a different angle and prepared a delightful trifle with smoked salmon and Chobani yogurt. This plain Greek Chobani has a nice silky texture and I really like its mild taste in my recipe.
This delicious and healthy yogurt trifle can be served a traditional way – in a single bowl, or in martini glasses for an elegant presentation, or in tiny mason jars for a rustic look.
Small tasting dishes, which are now widely available in many kitchen stores, also work great and look stunning filled with this savory trifle on a buffet table.
Savory Trifle with Smoked Salmon
- 1 cup plain Chobani Greek yogurt
- 1 very small clove garlic (optional), smashed
- 1-2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp honey (optional)
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- Ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 1-2 tsp chia seeds (option: 1 tbsp capers, chopped)
- 4 oz minced smoked salmon (or gravlax, or 4 tbsp salmon caviar)
- 1-2 Persian cucumbers (or ½ cucumber, peeled, seeds removed), diced
- Dill or fennel threads, green onion or capers for garnishing
- Rye bread, rye bread toasts or rye crackers for serving
In a small bowl stir Chobani Greek yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, honey, olive oil, salt and black pepper. Divide mixture in two halves.
Add chia seeds (or capers) to the first part of yogurt mixture; add minced dill to the other half of yogurt mixture. Let them stand to develop flavors. This preparation can be made in advanced (in a day or so).
In a glass dish (or small dishes) put in layers the chia yogurt, cucumbers, dill yogurt, and, finally, smoked salmon. Garnish with dill threads, green onion or capers. Serve with plenty rye bread toasts or rye crackers.
Cook with pleasure!