This is probably the simplest open sandwich you can prepare. And it is most delicious.
Now, when tomatoes are in season, this is the best time to treat yourself with an heirloom tomato sandwich. Of course, you can add to it some lettuce, onions, and ham – I agree, it will be delicious. But sometimes simplicity could tell you more about the savor.
The sandwich with tomato or cucumber, like no other, always delights me. It is my favorite ‘delicacy’ for many years. There is so much taste in it! I can eat this sandwich for lunch every day.
The quality of the bread is very important here. Wholegrain, whole-wheat, twelve grains, or similar breads are the best for making tomato or cucumber sandwiches. The nuts and the seeds give these breads a sweet and nutty flavor and a slightly crunchy texture, which makes the taste of the sandwich more complex and more satisfying.
My husband calls this sandwich ‘ladies sandwich’. I understand that for men a sandwich without meat is often not a real thing. But I do not care, for me it is so yummy! Simple treasure!
Tomato or Cucumber Open Sandwich
2 open sandwiches
- 2 wholegrain bread slices (multigrain, whole-wheat)
- 2 large tomato slices (or enough to cover a slice of bread)
- 2-3 cucumber slices, cut lengthwise (or enough to cover a slice of bread)
- 1- 1 ½ tbsp good quality mayonnaise (I have homemade mayonnaise)
Toast the bread slices in a toaster.
Spread the mayonnaise on the bread.
Top one piece of the bread with the tomato slices and another piece with the cucumber slices.
- Use Chipotle or Avocado mayonnaise in place of regular mayonnaise.
- Use tartar or tzatziki sauce in place of mayonnaise.
- Use Spanish salsa verde, green skhug, red skhug, or pesto in place of mayonnaise.
Cook with pleasure!