This incredibly tasty sauce from Ottoman Empire cuisine is an absolute favorite in Middle Eastern and some Mediterranean countries could be prepared in just a few minutes.
It is a wonderful addition to shawarma and other meat, poultry, or fish dishes. In my family, we enjoy tzatziki with lamb burgers. The sauce is addictive. Also tzatziki is great as a dip, with fresh vegetables. Pita, tandori, naan, or other flat breads served with this sauce are simply delicious.
Tzatziki is a very healthy and refreshing sauce with a lot of flavors. Don’t miss it!
about 1 ½ cup
- 8 oz plain Greek yogurt
- 1 pickling, Kirby or Persian cucumber, finely chopped (or ½ cucumber, peeled and seeded)
- 2-3 garlic cloves, finely minced (I use a garlic press)
- 1 tbsp finely chopped dill
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp finely chopped mint leaves (optional)
- Black pepper
Mix all the ingredients. Serve or let it stay in a refrigerator for a few hours to develop flavors.
Store the sauce refrigerated in a covered container for up to 5 days.
If needed, sour cream could be used in place of yogurt.
Cook with pleasure and enjoy the world!